Friday, June 15, 2012

Latest news

For a while, I wasn't posting anything on this blog because I didn't have much to say. The Tea school in Northern Virginia closed down in August, and so for most of the past year I haven't been able to do much Tea.

Then the new Tea school, Washin-an, opened downtown in late March - a formal opening set to coincide with the 100-year anniversary of the cherry blossoms. Except... the school didn't exactly open at that time; they held some very formal ceremonies with important out of town visitors in attendance.

Last month Washin-an opened to general classes, and I have been trying to find a time that works for me to attend. All of my other Tea classes have been Friday mornings, which always works with my schedule. Washin-an does not currently offer Friday mornings, and of the times they do offer, some work with my Sep-May work schedule and some with my summer schedule (which are vastly different, the only commonality being Fridays off), but nothing works year-round.

Things may or may not be falling into a routine now, but that routine is about to stop because I am traveling to Japan for a month, starting next week. Very excitingly, half of my time in Japan will be spent studying with the Midorikai, which is a department at Urasenke headquarters in Kyoto that is specifically for foreigners to learn Tea. Students generally study for a year, but I get a 2-week visit.

I will certainly try very hard to keep updates going through my trip, since chances are there will be good things to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment