Friday, March 18, 2011

An unexpected birthday gift

Today is the beginning of a very busy weekend, but it was also the first tea class of the month, after a three week hiatus.

Spring feels very slow in coming here in DC, but there are some buds blooming here and there, and we are very close to the time of the sakura blooms.

In fact, I have been contemplating inviting a few people out sometime during the greater Cherry Blossom Festival (or rather, during the peak blooming period) for a nice little tea ritual under the blossoms. I have just about all the materials I need, except for the tea.


After class today I asked my sensei where she buys her tea, thinking that in this day and age she must have, if not a local supplier, then at least a favorite website to order online. She told me that the central office in Kyoto sends it to her, but she has seen small containers sold at Wegmans.

Then she stepped out for a moment. When she returned, she told me that she had a surplus of tea and handed me a container.


I was astonished and touched by her gift. I've never seen a place in the states where one can even buy this much matcha (100 grams), to say nothing of the fact that significantly smaller containers can be quite expensive. And, coincidentally, it is my birthday today; what a treasure this gift was!

Now, it would seem that I have to arrange a casual blossom-viewing tea. There's no excuse not to.

I will also take this unexpected prize as a reminder of how much an act of generosity can brighten someone's day. We all have such potential to make the world a better place - let's do what we can to improve it for those around us!

(ETA: This site on the National Cherry Blossom Festival page gives visitors and well-wishers a chance to contribute to the Red Cross's efforts in Japan.)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! May each and every day be filled with something to delight about.

    (oh yes, and enjoy the tea! I am eager to hear about what you have learned!)

    ReplyDelete